Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Thing 19

I chose to investigate Twitter, as I noticed it placed first in two different categories: mobile technology and social networking mainstays (it even beat Facebook). This tool has the special ability to give and receive instantaneous information like no other. Not only is the information quick, it can be sent to large groups all at once. Twitter would be useful in the classroom as a tool of collaboration, connectivity, creativity, and discussion topics. For example, creative group writings could be assigned using Twitter. It is easy for students to use and very accessible from a computer or smart phone. As a librarian, Twitter could be used to share information about the library, advertise events, share pictures, and update its patrons ("followers") about anything.

I use this tool to keep up with breaking news in general, news about my hobbies and favorite subjects, and I follow people I want to know about. I even found some great work-related people/groups to follow, like Grammar Girl, Creative Commans, and School Library Journal. For my own pesonal use, I also follow Rotten Tomatoes and E News.

Kids love it, and it's a fun and easy multi-purpose tool that could easily be incorporated into an academic setting.

Schwab

No comments:

Post a Comment